Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards
Opportunity type: Award
Rewards: Cash prize of NAD 5000 for each award winner
Location Eligibility: Namibia
About this opportunity
The Bank Windhoek Doek Literary Awards are awarded every two years to celebrate the works of four Namibian literary artists—two writers (fiction and nonfiction), a poet, and a visual artist—published in Doek! Literary Magazine (Doek!). The awards seek to bring a wider Namibian and international audience to the selected works, writers, poets, and visual artists.
Bank Windhoek, the official sponsor of the Awards, has always been a prominent and active supporter of Namibian art and artists. These literary awards are an important milestone in the country’s young democracy and it could not have been reached without Bank Windhoek’s generous support and continued commitment to Namibians and Namibia.
Each winning literary artist is awarded NAD5000 in cash sponsored by Bank Windhoek.
The winners are also presented with a unique trophy commissioned from a Namibian artist.
All longlisted, shortlisted, and winning literary artists are provided with unique opportunities within their particular fields of creation. Such perquisites may include book prizes, further publication in select anthologies, offers of representation, appearances at literary festivals, participation in creative workshops, access to mentorship programs, exhibitions in local, national, and international galleries, and art residencies in Namibia and abroad.
- Namibian citizens living in the country or in the diaspora (outside the Namibia); and
- Foreign nationals who permanently reside in Namibia.
- Narrative (plot)-driven short fiction of any genre (such as crime, erotica, fantasy, historical, horror, humour, literary, magical realism, mystery, romance, science fiction, or any experimental writing which creatively blurs the margins between such genres) that lingers with the reader long after the final full stop; and,
- Poetry (written for the page, not performance) that takes the reader to the edge of their senses and beyond.
- Writers and poets must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submitting their writings.
How to Apply
Apply using the link: Bank Doek Literary Awards
All questions regarding this award should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .