Atlas of Uncertainty Open Call
Opportunity type: Open Call.
For: Painters, Artists, Sculptors.
Rewards: $2500 cash prize + Exhibition.
Location Eligibility: Some African Countries.
About this opportunity
The Atlas of Uncertainty invites visual artists to explore gateway neighbourhoods in Accra, Nairobi, and Johannesburg. Spanning diverse artistic mediums—from photography and drawing to painting, sculpture, printmaking, digital art, mixed media, textile art, and ceramics—the Atlas aims to cultivate diverse artistic responses that transcend traditional exhibition boundaries and normalise the multifaceted, informal, and transitory dimensions of these cities.
In collaboration with local partners—The GoDown Arts Centre, Arts & Culture Trust, Terra Alta, and the Foundation for Contemporary Arts—we will commission twenty-four artists from Accra, Nairobi, and Johannesburg through an open call.
Over four months, selected artists will be invited to critically engage with and reimagine the research. Through dialogues, collaboration, and co-creation, they will weave their narratives into the thematic underpinnings of the research. The culmination will be a physical and digital exhibition in 2025 in all three cities. Beyond the tangible outcomes, our commissioning process seeks to foster a transnational creative community where innovative ideas and energies flow freely, transcending national boundaries and united by a shared commitment to understanding the various spatial and socio-cultural aspects of our cities.
- Artists receive $2500 (USD) for artist commission paid in two installments.
- Works displayed at Atlas of Uncertainty Johannesburg exhibition in Q1 2024.
- Artists maintain ownership over their works but agree for the piece/s to be loaned to the exhibition for its full duration.
- Participation in a digital multi-city creative community.
- Works showcased in the physical and digital Atlas.
- Artists must be based in Accra, Nairobi or Johannesburg
- Applicants must be over 18 years old
- Applicants must be able to create the commissioned piece within the timeframe provided
- Applicants must specialise in one of the following media; photography, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, digital art, mixed media, textile art, and ceramics.
How to Apply
Apply using the link: Atlas of Uncertainty
All questions regarding this opportunity should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .